12 Vegetables That Pair Well With Any Egg Dish
Posted on: June 21st 2022
Protein-rich eggs and crisp vitamin-packed veggies — could there be a more tasty and nutritious combination? Whether it’s an omelet, sandwich, salad, frittata, or another savory dish, the possibilities for uniting these ingredients are endless. There may even be some tasty egg and vegetable dishes you’ve never heard of before!
Whether you’re searching for healthy family meals or diet-friendly dishes for one, we’ve got you covered. Read on for a list of 12 vegetables that pair wonderfully with egg dishes! We’ll also dive into some different recipe ideas for each one.
12 Vegetables That Go With Eggs
Start your day on a positive note with a savory, nutritious breakfast of eggs and veggies. Or, enjoy this concoction at any time of day. If you’re wondering what vegetables pair well with eggs and dishes you can make, browse this delicious list for plenty of ideas!
There are many ways to incorporate spinach into your egg dishes, from mixing spinach into your scrambled eggs to making a delicious leafy green frittata. Spinach adds a rich dose of vitamins like A, C, K, iron, and potassium, making it a nutritious and flavorful addition to your meal.
If you’re looking for ways to combine eggs and spinach, here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Scrambled eggs with spinach: A quick and simple yet tasty meal, scrambled eggs with spinach is an excellent way to start the day with a nutritious breakfast. With savory spinach, scrambled organic eggs, grated parmesan and mozzarella, and plenty of fresh spices, you’ll enjoy your morning the right way with a healthy and delicious meal.
- Spinach, black bean and egg quesadillas: Whether you need a nutritious breakfast for the family or a quick weeknight dinner to pull together, these egg quesadillas with spinach and black beans are a great solution. Try adding some hot sauce or a dollop of sour cream for an extra burst of flavor.
- Spinach and cheese strata: You can’t go wrong with a savory combo of eggs, spinach, bread and cheese — that’s why this spinach and cheese strata is ideal for any time of the day. Try it out for your next meal!
Sweet, juicy, and full of antioxidants, tomatoes are another great food to pair with eggs. Plus, there are endless ways to do so! Whether mixing fresh tomatoes and hard-boiled eggs in a salad, making a delicious sandwich, or using these two ingredients in a hearty soup, you can create the ultimate savory meal with tomatoes and eggs. Below are some recipes to help you along:
- Egg, lettuce, and tomato sandwich: You’re probably familiar with the classic BLT sandwich, but get ready to meet the ELT Supreme! This sandwich combines whole-grain or wheat bread, crisp iceberg lettuce, fresh tomato, and egg for a wholly flavorful meal. If you want the delicious taste of a BLT minus the added fat, mess, and calories, opt for this sandwich instead.
- Easy classic omelet: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and there’s no better way to rise and shine than with a classic egg omelet. With a few eggs, fresh cilantro and parsley, grated parmesan, chopped onions and peppers — and of course, tomatoes — you can whip up this tasty dish in minutes.
- Roasted ratatouille with eggs: A traditional French dish that originated in the 1800s, ratatouille is a savory comfort meal composed of thinly sliced vegetables on a bed of tomato sauce. There are many variations of this dish, and this one includes a unique twist — eggs. This roasted ratatouille with eggs combines fresh tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, and other veggies and spices for a rich burst of flavor. Mealtime is sure to be a delight with this recipe!
3. Green Onions
An excellent source of sulfur and other essential nutrients, green onions pair wonderfully with egg dishes to boost their overall nutrition. Not to mention they’re vital for adding flavor and fragrance to various recipes. Learn more about how you can combine green onions and eggs with the dishes below:
- Egg white and greens frittata: If you want a meal that cuts down on calories and cholesterol, an egg white and greens frittata provides an optimal boost of nutrition and energy in the morning. This dish includes spinach, peppers, green onions, scallions, egg whites, and other fresh ingredients for a tasty green breakfast.
- Southwestern egg rolls: Enjoy the flavors of southwestern cooking and the perfect crunch of egg rolls with this delicious dish. These southwestern egg rolls combine scrambled eggs, minced green onions, shredded Monterey jack cheese, and other fresh veggies and spices — all packed into a crispy fried tortilla shell.
- Fresh garden vegetable casserole: Whether you’re cooking for the family or bringing a dish to a potluck, this fresh garden vegetable casserole is sure to be a hit. Grab plenty of eggs, two stalks of chopped green onions, some Italian seasoning, and the other ingredients on the list and give this mouthwatering recipe a try!
Low in calories and an excellent source of fiber, vitamins A and C, and other nutrients, peppers are a valuable addition to many meals. Whether you prefer green, red or yellow bell peppers — or even zesty jalapenos — there are various ways to add peppers to egg dishes. Browse the recipes below for some ideas:
- Jalapeno popper egg cups: No matter the occasion — whether a simple family meal, party, or potluck — these jalapeno popper egg cups probably won’t last long. They’re fun to eat and provide a nutritious mix of flavors. With minced jalapeno peppers, fresh eggs, cool sour cream, and other tasty ingredients, kids and adults alike are sure to enjoy these savory culinary delights.
- Cheese, bacon and egg enchiladas: Liven up breakfast time with these enchiladas with bacon and cheese. Green pepper, fresh eggs, sizzling bacon, shredded cheese, and enchilada sauce will surely start your day on a high note.
- Spinach and pepper fried egg flatbread: Indulge in freshly grilled eggs and vegetables sautéed to perfection when you bite into this spinach and pepper fried egg flatbread. This dish combines crisp vegetables, freshly squeezed lemon juice, spices, eggs, and flatbread for warm, rich flavors. Start your morning right by combining classic ingredients and herbs into a uniquely delicious breakfast!
Smooth, savory and full of flavor, avocados add the perfect touch of texture and taste to many dishes. They’re also rich in magnesium, potassium, vitamins B6, C, E, and more! Consider adding avocado to your egg dishes for an excellent source of nutrients and flavor. If you’re looking for egg and avocado recipes, we’ve listed some below:
- Avocado toast: This is a popular breakfast choice and for good reason. It’s both delicious and easy to whip up in the mornings. All you need are a few ingredients — two ripe avocados, fresh eggs, bread, pepper, and chopped chives. This simple avocado toast with soft-boiled egg is sure to become a favorite breakfast in your home!
- Eggs baked in avocado: This unique breakfast will surely spark your interest if you’re a fan of avocados and trying interesting recipes. These eggs baked in avocado combine eggs, bacon bits, freshly ground black pepper, and chopped chives — all baked into a fresh avocado. If you have a little extra time in the morning to pop a meal into the oven, consider giving this dish a try.
- Scrambled eggs, avocado, and smoked salmon: Scrambled eggs are already tasty on their own — but Texas toast, protein-rich salmon, and creamy avocado make them even better! Try out these scrambled eggs with avocado and smoked salmon for your next meal.
6. Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are rich, delectable, and a vitamin A-rich alternative to regular potatoes. They add just the right blend of sweet and savory flavors to your plate, making them delicious for any meal of the day. If you’re wondering how to add sweet potatoes to your egg dishes, check out the ideas we’ve listed below:
- Sweet potato, sage, and egg tacos: Ideal for both family dinners and breakfasts, these tacos with sweet potatoes and eggs are packed with protein and easy to whip up. With some warm tortillas, sweet potatoes, fresh sage, eggs, and shredded cheese, you’ll have a delicious meal for everyone in under an hour.
- Sweet potato Brussels sprout skillet: This recipe blends fresh sweet potato, Brussels sprouts, white onions, mushrooms, eggs, and fresh spices for an ultra-savory combo. Start your day with this delicious sweet potato Brussels sprouts skillet!
- Sweet potato hash with fried eggs: If a sweet and rich yet savory breakfast sounds appealing, consider trying out this sweet potato hash with fried eggs. Sweet potatoes, onion, baby spinach, and crisp bell pepper give way to fresh spices and sizzling fried eggs for incredible flavor. If you need a delicious morning pick-me-up before heading to work, this meal is ideal.
A phenomenal source of fiber and flavor, it’s no surprise that potatoes are a favorite food for many. With this versatile veggie, you can whip up many delicious recipes, from breakfast burritos to dinner casseroles. If you need help deciding what to make with eggs and potatoes, here are some dishes to try out:
- Summer salad with eggs: Nothing says summer quite like a cool, crisp, and refreshing salad. This is a healthy, energy-boosting combo of romaine lettuce, arugula greens, and red, white, and blue baby potatoes. No matter the time of day, this summer salad with eggs recipe is a nutritious addition to your meal.
- Basic fried eggs and potatoes: Kick off your day with a simple, classic, and wholly American breakfast. This basic fried eggs and potatoes recipe is perfect if you’re looking for a tasty, easy-to-make meal in the morning. Chances are, you’ll already have most of these ingredients sitting in your kitchen!
- Egg and cheese stuffed baked potatoes: This dish is incredibly easy to make in bulk if you’re hosting brunch. Grab some medium potatoes, thick-cut bacon, eggs, green onion, and cheddar cheese to give this recipe a go! These egg and cheese stuffed baked potatoes are sure to impress potato lovers and even the pickiest of guests.
Fresh asparagus is a great source of antioxidants like Vitamin A and E, as well as fiber and other nutrients. Not to mention it adds a rich, savory flavor to a variety of meals. While you may not think to mix asparagus with eggs and breakfast dishes, this unexpected combo is surprisingly tasty.
How exactly can you combine eggs and asparagus, you may ask? Here are some ideas to help you out:
- Creamy grits with asparagus and a poached egg: Enjoy a homey southern-style meal with this creamy grits and asparagus dish! A soft poached egg over some freshly grilled asparagus — topped with a savory serving of cheesy grits — is a delectable comfort dish that simply melts in your mouth.
- Scrambled eggs over asparagus: Hot and fluffy scrambled eggs over fresh asparagus make a wonderful breakfast combo. If you need a simple, healthy, and delicious recipe for those hectic mornings, look no further than this dish!
- Skillet-baked eggs and asparagus: This dish brings out the soft flavors of egg yolk and the sharp richness of asparagus. If you’re looking for a healthy and time-friendly breakfast, this skillet-baked eggs and asparagus recipe is ideal for the entire family to enjoy.
We’ve already covered green onions, so it’s about time we gave the other onions a shoutout as well. Classic white, red, and yellow onions are rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds, making them a nutritious meal booster. Plus, it’s no secret that they’re essential for seasoning, flavoring, and adding a crisp texture. Combining them with eggs makes your dish all the more delicious.
Explore the dishes below if you need ideas for blending onions and eggs:
- Make-ahead breakfast burritos: You can’t go wrong with a quick and classic breakfast burrito in the morning. With crisp Vidalia onion, turkey sausage, baking potatoes, and shredded cheese, these make-ahead breakfast burritos are the perfect way to fuel your body with fresh ingredients.
- Traditional Brazilian Feijao Tropeiro: Expand your culinary horizons with this savory South American dish. This traditional Brazilian Feijao Tropeiro combines yellow onion, chorizo sausage, bacon, eggs, pinto beans, and other fresh ingredients for a colorful plate. With this dish, you can enjoy a tasty and nutritious meal while experiencing flavors from another part of the world.
- Pancake breakfast tacos: While you may not expect onions in a pancake dish, these pancake breakfast tacos are a sweet, savory and delicious way to start the day! Chopped red onion, fluffy scrambled eggs, cooked ham, shredded cheese, and pure maple syrup — all packed together in a pancake shell — are perfect for family members of all ages to enjoy.
Mushrooms are low in calories, rich in antioxidants and full of flavor. That’s why you’ll find them in a wide variety of dishes, from soups and pizzas to salads. Mushrooms are especially great with eggs, as their similarly soft and savory flavors pair wonderfully together. Consider trying out the recipes below if you’re interested in adding mushrooms to your egg dish:
- Fried egg and mushroom sandwich: If you’re craving a sandwich at any given time of the day, this fried egg and mushroom sandwich is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This sandwich relies solely on eggs, spices, cheese, mushrooms, and other vegetables — which is great if you need a healthier alternative to a juicy steak burger.
- Bacon, mushroom, and cheese omelet: Incorporate mushrooms into your next breakfast with this delicious omelet recipe. This dish combines eggs, fresh mozzarella, bacon, veggies, and spices for the ultimate blend of flavors.
- Spinach and mushroom scrambled eggs: Mushrooms and spinach create a nutritious and savory combo. Stirring them into scrambled eggs makes breakfast time even better. Try out these spinach and mushroom scrambled eggs if you need a healthy, delicious breakfast the whole family will love.
This cool green vegetable is packed with important antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, making it another nutritious food pairing for eggs. If a healthy, flavorful breakfast of zucchini and eggs strikes your fancy, check out the dishes below:
- Scrambled eggs with zucchini: Savor the taste of crisp, mild zucchini paired with hot and fluffy scrambled eggs. Whether you’re cooking for the family or making breakfast for one, this scrambled eggs with zucchini recipe is bound to become a favorite. Seasoning the zucchini with salt, pepper, and garlic powder rounds out its flavors all the more.
- Zucchini frittata: We’re back with another frittata recipe — but this time, zucchini takes the spotlight as the key ingredient! This zucchini frittata recipe combines fresh ingredients like Swiss cheese, chopped onion, eggs, and shredded zucchini for a warm breakfast to take on the day. Try sprinkling your frittata with ground pepper for extra flavor.
- Zucchini egg bake: Wonderful for brunch and breakfast gatherings, this zucchini egg bake will likely leave your guests wanting another helping. This recipe uses fresh ingredients like fresh parsley and basil, onion, garlic, zucchini, eggs, and shredded cheese. Try out this dish for comforting and savory flavors to please your tastebuds!
Last but certainly not least, our last vegetable that complements egg dishes is leafy green kale. Loaded with nutrients like calcium, copper, potassium, manganese, and vitamins, kale is an ideal superfood if you want to enhance your meal’s overall nutritional value. These dishes offer some great ways to combine kale and eggs:
- Scrambled eggs with kale and mozzarella: This dish mixes cheesy scrambled eggs, shredded mozzarella, and thinly sliced kale for a delicious and easy breakfast. Try some scrambled eggs with kale and mozzarella for your next meal!
- Stir-fried farro with kale and poached egg: This recipe includes multiple superfoods for the ultimate healthy breakfast. With fresh kale and spices, eggs, and farro — a nutritious grain rich in fiber, protein, iron, and magnesium — you can start your morning with valuable nutrients and vitamins. If you need a healthy family meal, this stir-fried farro with kale and poached egg should do the trick.
- Kale and potato soup: Finally, a warm bowl of kale and potato soup is the prime comfort meal, especially on a chilly fall or winter day. No matter what time of day you might crave soup, this dish is your solution. These savory, rich flavors won’t disappoint, with a hearty combo of potatoes, fresh spices, eggs, garlic, vegetable stock, and, of course, kale.
Start Your Morning Healthy With Eggs and Veggies
Hopefully, you’ve gathered some inspiration for your next meal after scanning this detailed list of veggies and recipes. However, none of these dishes are complete without fresh, quality eggs to accompany their flavors.
At Sauder’s Eggs, providing our customers with premium farm-fresh eggs is our specialty — but it goes beyond that. Because our core values are the driving force of everything we do, we highly value the relationships we have with employees, family, customers, and producers. The incredible support from our extended community has enabled us to do what we love — supply you with delicious, high-quality eggs for the whole family to enjoy.
Whether you’re looking for something organic, free-range, pasture-raised, cage-free or traditional white or brown, we’ve got it all at Sauder’s Eggs. Find a store near you to purchase our eggs today!