Most people know breakfast is the most important meal. How you fuel your body when you first get up sets the tone for the rest of the day. If you tend to always skip breakfast or eat items that leave you feeling sluggish, how about a make ahead breakfast burrito recipe to solve the problem?
Our meal prep breakfast burritos bursting with veggies and meat are the perfect way to ensure you can always eat a breakfast with tons of nutrients. Not only will you appreciate the way this sausage breakfast burrito recipe tastes, but you will love how simple it is to follow. Never worry again about what to feed your family on a hectic morning. Plus, make ahead breakfast burritos are ideal snacks, lunches and even dinner accompaniments!
Do you love to spend time in the outdoors all year long? Try some make-ahead breakfast burritos for camping. You can simply heat them up by wrapping them in a little foil and placing them near, but not touching, warm coals. Who says you have to rough it when you are in the woods? Enjoy make ahead breakfast burritos anywhere and anytime!
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Wrap a stack of tortillas in foil and place in the oven to warm.
2. Place the sausage meat in a nonstick skillet or frying pan and cook for about 8 minutes over medium-high heat, breaking apart the sausage to form small crumbles. If not using a nonstick surface, place 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the skillet before adding sausage to reduce sticking.
3. Add freshly grated potatoes, bell pepper bits, onion pieces, cherry tomato quarters and spinach leaves to cooked sausage. Continue to cook over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes until all vegetables are thoroughly heated.
4. Add slightly beaten eggs to sausage, potato and veggie mixture. Cook until the eggs are firm. Remove skillet or pan from heat.
5. Remove tortillas from the oven. Place each tortilla on a stable surface. Spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of the sausage, potato and egg mixture into the middle of the tortilla. Cover with a sprinkling of cheese. Add 1 tablespoon of picante sauce, if desired. Fold tortilla completely to avoid having the mixture fall out.
6. Eat make ahead breakfast burritos immediately or wrap each burrito in plastic wrap and then foil. Freeze burritos to reheat later.
7. To reheat in the microwave, remove the burrito from all wraps and cover with a moist paper towel. Place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 1 minute, then turn the burrito over. Microwave on high for 1 more minute. If necessary, microwave more in increments of 15 seconds if the burrito is still cold in the middle.
8. Let the burrito stand for 1 minute before diving in.
Want to know three tricks to make these meal prep breakfast burritos even better? First, make sure all your ingredients are chopped into bite-sized pieces. Rolling the tortilla will be much easier. Secondly, try not to over-fill the tortilla. Finally, always use fresh eggs with superior flavor! Looking for Sauder’s eggs for your family? Count on our store locator to help you find them.