Ratatouille is a French dish that originated in the city of Nice during the 1800s and is made from a variety of vegetables. There are many different variations of this dish, making it a fun way to experiment with different veggie combinations.
We’ve put together what we think is a fantastic roasted ratatouille recipe. There are a variety of different veggies that work great together, it’s seasoned with some tasty, aromatic spices and it’s got a bit of a unique twist — the eggs. Whether you’re looking for a dish to serve to a crowd or want something new to wow your family, this is the recipe for you.
To see how to make roasted ratatouille, check out our recipe below!
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Spray a lipped baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Put the chopped eggplant, onion, zucchini, green bell pepper, mushrooms, and minced garlic in a large bowl. Add the olive oil and stir to coat the veggies with the olive oil evenly.
- Spread the vegetables evenly on the baking sheet. Season the veggies with salt and black pepper.
- Bake the veggies for 35 to 40 minutes, turning every eight minutes to ensure even cooking.
- When the vegetables are done roasting, transfer them to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Add the tomatoes along with their juices to the dish along with the salt, black pepper, marjoram, thyme, basil, and parsley. Stir until evenly incorporated and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake about 20 minutes, until the ratatouille is bubbling. Take it out of the oven.
- Using a big spoon, create four indents into the vegetables that are evenly spaced in the baking dish. Break an egg into each indent in the veggies. Sprinkle each one with salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella over the vegetables and eggs.
- Bake the ratatouille uncovered until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted — about eight to 10 minutes.
- When the eggs are done, let the ratatouille rest for about five minutes.
- To serve, spoon one egg and vegetables into shallow soup bowls. Serve with sliced Italian bread.
Using fresh veggies and herbs in this recipe make it truly delicious. You should also be using the best of the other ingredients, too, like Sauder’s eggs. To find our top-quality eggs at the nearest retailer, use our store locator today.