2 1/2 cups Romaine lettuce, washed and trimmed to bite-sized pieces
2 cups baby spinach, washed and trimmed if necessary
1/2 cup arugula greens, washed and trimmed if necessary
1 cup regular or rainbow chard, washed and trimmed to bite-sized pieces
8-10 cups water
15 red, white and blue baby potatoes, halved
2 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
5 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
1 sweet Vidalia onion, sliced thinly
1/2 cup Caesar salad croutons with a mixture of bread types
1/8 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 cup grated Romano cheese
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Sometimes, a salad brimming with fresh ingredients is all you need to keep your energy at peak levels and give your taste buds something to rave about. Our potato, green bean and egg salad will tempt you throughout the summer. But remember that it can be just as tasty in the fall and winter when a salad is definitely the way to go for lunch or a light dinner.
Feel free to add some of your favorite toppings, produce, cheeses and more to this green bean and egg salad recipe. Part of the fun of discovering any salad recipe is to make it your own. You could even make the basic green bean and egg salad recipe for your family, and then allow them to personalize it with items such as olives, tortilla strips, raisins, sesame seeds and freshly picked herbs from the garden.
Who says a salad is meant to be a side dish? This healthy summer salad with beans, potatoes and eggs says otherwise.
1. Place Romaine lettuce, baby spinach, arugula greens and rainbow chard in a large mixing bowl. Toss well, then set aside.
2. Bring water to boil in a large pot over high heat and add halved baby potatoes. Cook 5 minutes.
3. Add cut green beans to boiling water and baby potatoes. Cook everything for an additional 4-5 minutes until green beans are brightly colored and halved baby potatoes are tender. Remove the pot from heat.
4. Drain water from baby potatoes and green beans using a colander that has been placed in the sink. Run cold water over baby potatoes and green beans until they are cold to stop them from cooking.
5. Place cold baby potatoes and green beans into the mixing bowl with the tossed greens.
6. Add pieces of egg, slices of onion and croutons to the mixing bowl with the tossed greens, baby potatoes and green beans. Toss ingredients well and set mixing bowl aside to make salad dressing.
7. Whisk together Parmesan cheese, Romano cheese, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, spicy brown mustard, garlic cloves, sea salt and black pepper. If the salad dressing seems too thick, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar until it is smooth enough to pour easily.
8. Pour finished salad dressing onto the ingredients in the large mixing bowl. Toss all items well.
9. Plate your healthy summer salad with eggs and serve immediately.
Want to prepare this salad in advance? Wait to pour the dressing onto your green bean and egg salad. Instead, refrigerate the salad ingredients and dressing separately until just before serving. Also, be sure your eggs are always the best tasting on the market by using our store locator to find Sauder’s eggs at your regional shops.
Receive email blasts about Sauder news and other useful info.