Serve it up southern-style with a creamy grits dish, perfect for a date night! Supplement your dinner with a soft, delicious poached egg on top of freshly grilled asparagus, and we’d say your grits dinner is complete. You don’t even need a date to enjoy recipe for creamy grits with asparagus and a poached egg — prepare yourself a serving for now and set another bowl aside for later! There’s nothing better than popping a perfectly-crafted meal in the microwave to enjoy the next day.
This comfort meal recipe is the perfect palatable experience to help you stray from the typical late-night burger or taco. When you treat yourself, do it the right way with a dish so tasty you’ll be hiding the leftovers in the back of the fridge for tomorrow. Check out our creamy grits with asparagus and poached eggs recipe below to prepare your grits dish with ease.
- Place a medium saucepan or pot over medium heat and add enough water to fill half the pan. Bring the water to a boil and add the vinegar. Carefully crack each egg into the water one at a time. As the eggs cook, use a fork or spoon to separate any that begin to combine. Allow the eggs to cook for about 3 minutes. or until the egg whites start to set.
- Use a spoon to remove each egg. Place the eggs on a plate or bowl lined with napkins or paper towels to absorb any excess water. Set aside.
- Place a large saucepan or pot over medium heat and add 6 cups of water to the bowl. Pour the grits into the water and stir, combing the mixture thoroughly. Once the water begins to boil, sprinkle pepper and salt to the mixture and cover the pan. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the mixture for another 30 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Tilt the pan to cover it entirely with an even layer of melted butter. Sprinkle salt and pepper into the pan, then add the asparagus with the ends snapped off. Sprinkle the minced garlic on top and cook the vegetables uncovered for 10 minutes, or until slightly brown.
- Once the grits are done, add the cheddar cheese to the sauce and mix until you reach the desired consistency. Return the lid to the pan and turn the heat off, leaving the pot on the stove.
- Divide the asparagus mixture into two portions. Using a spoon, pour a serving of grits onto each plate. Add a serving of vegetables to each plate and top with two poached eggs. Sprinkle seasoning on top and serve immediately.
What would your grits be without a delicious poached egg on top? To really make this recipe shine, invest in quality eggs by finding Sauder’s products in a store near you.