Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /var/www/vhosts/saudereggs.com/httpdocs/wp-includes/post-template.php on line 298
DIY Egg Face Masks
You can do more with eggs than just eat them. A DIY egg face mask has proven benefits for your skin as an all-natural solution. Egg whites have properties to improve your skin’s health, treat detrimental skin problems and purify your face’s appearance. The treatments are up-and-coming in spas and for at-home DIY projects. But of course, DIY masks are less expensive and more way more fun.
Eggs are one of the many healthy super foods found in homes as an essential staple. Not only do eggs give your body protein when you consume them in various forms, but eggs also nourish your hair and skin. Thanks to lutein, eggs can hydrate and enhance the elasticity of your skin, and protein helps repair face tissues. Egg whites firm, tighten and tone your skin without the harsh chemicals found in some face washes.
While egg masks don’t need to be a part of your daily skincare regimen, they can be a way to vary up your usual beauty routine or for a fun girls’ evening in with movies and manicures. Besides, why waste so much money on an expensive face mask from the store when you can use basic ingredients found in your kitchen? It’s time to pamper yourself with some homemade face mask recipes.
Benefits of an Egg Face Mask
But is an egg face mask good for you? Is it a myth that egg whites can benefit your skin?
Various benefits exist when you apply egg white face masks to your skin without the harsh effects of from chemicals like retinol and alpha hydroxyl acids. When you apply natural ingredients to your face such as an egg white, it shrinks the large pores where bacteria can grow. Egg whites help greasy skin and prevent pimples and cysts, reducing the acne on your face. They can even form a protective layer over your face to avoid sunburn and blisters. Several nutrients found in eggs may benefit your skin in more ways than one.
For example, an enzyme called lysozyme kills acne-causing bacteria. Protein is also found in eggs, which can repair and grow tissues while promoting strong, wrinkle-free skin. Potassium, riboflavin, collagen and magnesium are nutrients in eggs that have their own specialties. Potassium hydrates and moisturizes your face and preserves the moisture in your skin cells. One egg white contains about 54 mg of potassium, a mineral that can help clear your face.
Riboflavin eliminates toxic free radicals that cause wrinkles, and collagen helps with skin inflammation and fills in wrinkle lines. About 62 percent of an egg’s riboflavin content is in the white. Magnesium promotes youthful skin while slowing down the aging process. Consider the following list for a more in-depth look at how egg whites can benefit the beauty of your face with DIY home remedies. Egg whites can:
1. Tone your skin. Egg whites firm your skin by removing excess dirt, oil and dead cells on your face.
2. Remove unwanted facial hair. Especially in areas like your upper lip, forehead and cheeks, applying egg whites will help remove hair because of its adhesive properties.
3. Firm and shrink your pores. Whether you have scars from acne or other imperfections, egg whites rid your face of marks and blotches and replace them with smooth, fair skin while also lessening the appearance of your pores.
4. Reduce puffiness under your eyes. The sallow look under your eyes that can make you look older comes from daily stress factors such as work, school, a poor diet and anxiety. But a layer of an egg white face mask can eliminate the puffy skin under your eyes, making your face appear fresher and more youthful.
5. Rid your face of blemishes. Egg whites clear your skin of dirt to sweep away acne and other blemishes because of their astringent properties.
6. Minimize oily skin. Egg whites can regulate sebum production, which is the cause of oily skin.
7. Protect your face from UV rays. Exposure to the sun will make your skin tan. But if you want to protect your face from getting burnt and you want to improve your natural skin complexion, egg whites are an all-natural remedy.
8. Eliminate blackheads. Because egg whites have astringent characteristics — meaning they tighten your facial tissues — they can pull out blackheads on your skin and remove dirt.
9. Lift your skin. When your face tightens from the whites of an egg, it lifts your skin and prevents sagging around areas such as your cheeks and under your eyes.
10. Lessen acne and acne scarring. Acne is a result of over-secretion on your skin of sebum and oily features. Egg whites can prevent acne from appearing on your face and can reduce acne scarring from previous instances.
If you have sensitive skin or don’t want to pay high prices for face masks and washes, DIY egg face masks are the perfect alternative.
Are Eggs Good in Face Masks?
The simple answer is yes. The main ingredient in an egg white face mask is, of course, an egg white. You separate the whites from the yolk and mix them with other natural foods into a frothy foam. Egg whites consist of protein and water. When the water evaporates from your skin, the protein changes texture to form a tight, thin film around your face. You spread the mixture over your skin until it dries, and then you wash off the film or peel off the mask, depending on which type you choose to make.
The purpose of egg face masks is to make your skin softer while improving your face’s tone and texture. Different DIY masks are for different facial skin problems, combatting anything from blackheads to oily skin to dry skin or facial hair. Because the ingredients don’t penetrate deep into your skin, the results are temporary instead of long-term. They are also not like face scrubs, so you will want to apply the concoction without rubbing it into your skin.
It’s also important to know whether eggs whites and other ingredients may cause a breakout or irritate your skin, as with anything you would put on your face or body. Either discuss using a DIY method with your dermatologist or perform a patch test before applying anything to your face.
A patch test may include placing the mixture behind your ear if you worry about having an allergic reaction or applying a bit where you’re most sensitive if you worry egg whites will irritate your skin. Testing the mixture on your inner wrist or elbow can also work to see if your skin will react with bumps or rashes. The results may take about 24 hours.
Separating Egg Whites From Yolk
Most DIY face masks require egg whites to be separated from the yolks. You can employ several methods to do so. Some approaches may be easier depending on the materials you have or whether you’re okay with getting your hands a little messy. Here are five easy ways to do it:
1. Crack an egg into your hand. Allow the white to run through your fingers into a bowl. Place the egg yolk in a separate bowl and use the egg white for your face mask.
2. Use an empty water bottle. Wash a disposable plastic water bottle and crack an egg into a bowl, making sure not to crush the yolk. Squeeze the water bottle and place the opening on top of the egg yolk. When you release your pinch, the yolk will get sucked into the water bottle.
3. Split an egg into two sections. Break an egg into two halves and hold each broken side upward, above a small bowl. Sliding the contents of each half from one egg shell to the other will separate the white, which will drip into the bowl below, from the yolk. Keep going until no more egg white drops into your bowl and move the yolk to another.
4. An egg separator. This kitchen tool removes the whites from the yolk, and you can sit most egg separators at the edge of a bowl for hands-free use.
5. Other kitchen tools. You can use other things to detach an egg white from its yolk, like a funnel, turkey baster bulb — used the same way as the water bottle — and a slotted spoon.
How to Make Egg Face Masks
With a few simple ingredients, you can make an egg mask for radiant and beautiful skin. Using egg whites combined with other ingredients, you can feel a difference in your skin as it becomes healthy and blemish-free. DIY egg face masks are often inexpensive and straightforward to make with elements found in your cupboard or refrigerator.
Continue reading to learn the benefits of eggs to your skin when you use different recipes for different areas of concern. With each of the following methods, you will need a mixing, bowl, whisk and a makeup brush.
Recipe 1: Acne-Clearing Face Mask
Three natural substances make for an acne-clearing face mask that may repair damaged skin, fight acne bacteria, and lighten scars and blemishes on your face. If you are searching for an organic remedy to clear your skin of pimples, this is your best bet.
• 1 egg white
• ½ teaspoon honey
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
While the ingredients are simple, the benefits of a face egg mask are more impressive than one may think. For example, honey is an antiseptic and antibacterial that moisturizes your skin, is a lightening agent and contains anti-inflammatory characteristics. Lemon juice is an astringent that kills acne-causing bacteria, lightens your skin and has discoloration reduction properties, acting as a natural bleaching agent.
1. Using a clean mixing bowl, whisk the egg white and lemon juice until they are frothy. The lemon juice will mask the smell of the egg white.
2. Add ½ teaspoon of honey and stir the mixture.
3. Wash your face with warm water before application to open your pores.
4. You can use your hands, cotton balls or a makeup brush to apply the egg white face mask. Begin at the bottom of your face around your jawline and chin, then move upward to your cheeks and forehead in smooth circular motions. It’s important to avoid the sensitive areas of your face, like your eyes and around your mouth, because the tightening mask can stretch and wrinkle drier areas of skin.
5. Let the mask dry on your face for about 10-15 minutes.
6. Once the mixture is dry, rinse it off using a circular motion with warm water and a washcloth. Pat your face dry with a hand towel and admire your soft skin.
Because the acne-clearing egg mask is effective in tightening your skin, it’s recommended to use it if you have greasy skin as opposed to dry. The mask rids your face of excess oil for a clear and smooth surface.
Recipe 2: Skin-Lightening Face Mask
If you want lighter skin around your eyes and other dark areas of your face, a skin-lightening mask is a perfect option. As a healthy and active solution containing potent skin-brightening ingredients, this particular face mask uses just three ingredients to give your skin a brand-new glow.
• 1 egg white
• 1 teaspoon orange juice
• 1/2teaspoon turmeric powder
While you may know turmeric as the main spice in curry, it can reduce dark spots and even out discoloration on your face and under your eyes. Turmeric is a root herb that contains skin-lightening properties to help with discolorations, acne scars and dark spots. And while orange juice is the perfect drink for breakfast, it can also tone your skin and supplement your face with vitamin C.
1. Whisk the egg white and orange juice in a mixing bowl until the mixture becomes frothy. Add the turmeric powder and mix well, making sure it’s not too runny.
2. Before getting started, wear an old T-shirt to prevent yellowing staining from the turmeric powder. Apply the egg face mask mixture using clean hands or a cosmetic brush. Massage into your skin using a circular motion, which will help the ingredients seep into your skin.
3. Lie down on your back to prevent the mask from pulling downward on your face for about 15 minutes. Don’t talk or smile with the mask on, because if you stretch the dry mixture, the tight skin on your face may wrinkle.
4. After time passes, scrub off the dried cover and apply a face moisturizer such as olive oil or cream to seal in the nutrients absorbed in your skin.
The skin on your face will brighten with each use of the skin-lightening DIY face mask for temporary results. Whether you have dark circles around your eyes or blemishes from acne scars, an egg white, orange juice and turmeric are a surprising combination to lighten your skin.
Recipe 3: Hydrating Face Mask
People use hydrating masks to add moisture to their face, especially those with dry and flaky skin. Three ingredients can smooth your face while replacing aging and dull skin. Hydrating masks can make you look youthful with supple skin. Eggs are not only used for acne-prone skin. When mixed with an avocado — which has healthy fats and many vitamins — the two create the perfect combination of hydrating and moisturizing.
• 1 egg white
• ¼ ripe avocado
• 1 teaspoon yogurt
Avocados hydrate, moisturize and create a youthful glow to your skin while yogurt nourishes dry, flaky skin. Plain and unsweetened yogurt has live cultures to eliminate acne-causing bacteria and transform your skin to a soft and younger appearance.
1. Mash the avocado until there are no clumps and it’s a pasty texture. For best results, use a ripe avocado to make it easier to press — or even better, employ a blender to make a puree.
2. Add the egg white and yogurt to the avocado, mixing well until creamy.
3. Using your fingers, apply a thick layer of the avocado paste and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
4. Afterward, wash off the egg white face mask with warm water and dry your face with a hand towel.
Avocados are no longer just used for toast, guacamole and other yummy treats. They can help hydrate your skin along with an egg white and yogurt. Although it may seem like an odd combination, the all-natural mixture will surprise you. No longer worry about harsh chemical face masks and rely on your DIY project.
Recipe 4: Blackhead Removal Face Mask
It’s a known fact that eggs are rich in nutrients that can nourish your body and hair and moisturize your skin. Egg whites contain protein and albumin, which can both tighten your skin and shrink the pores on your face, resulting in the reduced formation of blackheads. Instead of purchasing expensive blackhead removal masks, you can rely on one simple ingredient to lighten and brighten your skin for a glowing appearance.
• 1 egg white
• Paper towels or tissues
1. Extract the egg white and whisk it until it becomes somewhat stiff. You can use a hand blender, whisk or fork.
2. Using a cosmetic brush, dip it into the egg white and apply a thin layer across your face.
3. Apply strips of paper towels over your skin to create a DIY peel-off mask. Dip more egg white onto your brush and apply another thin layer on top of the towel sections.
4. After about 5 minutes, you can smear a third layer of egg whites to increase the tightness.
5. When the mask is dry, peel off the paper towels and rinse your face with warm water. Dab it dry with a hand towel.
If you are looking for quick action, use the blackhead face mask twice a week for two to three weeks for the best results.
Recipe 5: Hair Removal Face Mask
Hair removal is often an uncomfortable process that relies on harsh chemicals or hot wax. By using an egg white, cornstarch and sugar, you can create a more natural, DIY egg face mask. With the two ingredients of starch and sugar, the mixture turns the egg into a peel-off mask that also removes dirt and other impurities from your skin.
• 1 egg white
• 1 tablespoon white sugar
• 2 teaspoons cornstarch
The egg white will nourish and tighten the skin on your face for a younger appearance while the extra fine sugar will exfoliate your pores and the cornstarch will absorb any dirt and grime.
1. Whisk the egg white in a mixing bowl and add the two other ingredients. Mix well and try to even out clumps of starch.
2. Apply the egg white face mask using your clean fingers or a makeup brush, making sure to cover each area containing excess facial hair, like your chin or upper lip.
3. Let the mask set for 20 minutes or until it’s dry. Peel off the hair removal mask in a slow motion, not fast. It’s not waxing your face, but it may feel similar.
4. Afterward, rub aloe vera over your face in sensitive areas.
You can use the face mask method of removing hair as often as you see necessary.
Recipe 6: Oily Skin Face Mask
Oily skin is one of the toughest types to deal with, but thanks to all-natural ingredients such as egg whites and lemon juice, the mixture works to reduce the oil on your skin.
• 1 egg white
• ½ lemon
Egg whites draw out the oils from your pores, and lemon juice acts as a natural bleaching agent.
1. Collect the egg white in a bowl and squeeze in the lemon juice.
2. Whisk the two ingredients until they become frothy and fluffy.
3. Using a cosmetic brush, apply the mixture onto your face in an even layer, making sure to cover each area of concern.
4. Leave the mask on for about 15 minutes, then rinse your face with warm water. Pat your face dry with a towel.
To reduce oiliness, apply the DIY egg face mask two to three times a week for between two and three weeks to get the best results in receiving toned skin.
Recipe 7: Wrinkle Removal Face Mask
Collagen found in egg whites improves the elasticity of your skin, which reduces wrinkles and crow’s feet on your face and around your eyes. You can fill crow’s feet, also known as laugh lines, thanks in part to the oil in this mask, which helps smooth the skin.
• 1 egg white
• 1 teaspoon castor oil
• 1 teaspoon fresh aloe vera
The egg white will nourish your facial skin, and the castor oil will reduce the wrinkles seen on your face. Fresh aloe vera gel will improve the health of your skin and increase your face’s elasticity. While fresh aloe from a plant is ideal, you can use aloe vera from a bottle as well.
1. Separate the egg white from the yolk and add the aloe vera and castor oil.
2. Whisk the three natural ingredients until the mixture is fluffy and bubbly. You can use either a whisk or blender to get a foamy substance.
3. Use your clean fingers, a makeup brush or cotton balls to apply the egg white face mask and let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Wash your face with warm water and pat dry with a clean towel.
Forget about the expensive eye creams and face masks from the store. Instead, use an all-natural home remedy to lessen the wrinkles on your face by using the method three times a week for four to six weeks.
Recipe 8: Sensitive Skin Face Mask
Sensitive skin can be attributed to many different factors, such as sunburn or eating food that causes your face to feel stinging, itching and burning sensations. With a few natural supplements, you can relieve the pain you feel and promote healthier skin. Using a DIY egg mask for sensitive skin can regenerate your skin and give your face a healthy glow.
• 1 egg white
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 1 teaspoon plain yogurt
• 1 teaspoon cucumber juice
Honey relieves irritation because of its antiseptic properties and can regenerate tissue on your face. Yogurt is an exfoliant and can ease sunburn or other irritations and moisturize and prevent aging. You often see cucumbers on top of people’s eyes while they receive a facial, and for a good reason. Cucumber juice can help soothe sunburn, hydrate the skin around your eyes, and help prevent breakouts.
1. Separate the egg white from the yolk and whisk it until it becomes frothy and light.
2. Grate the cucumber into small shavings. Once you grate a few tablespoons, squeeze the juice out of the shavings into a bowl, until you reach the necessary amount of cucumber juice.
3. Heat the honey at a low temperature until it’s liquefied, and add it to your bowl of cucumber juice and egg white. Mix all ingredients. Make sure to give the honey a few minutes to cool, because you don’t want to burn your face.
4. Apply the mask to your clean face and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
5. Rinse your face with warm water and apply a facial moisturizer once it’s dry.
Instead of irritating your sensitive skin even more with store-bought face masks, use natural ingredients proven to help relieve any stinging or itching.
The Beauty of DIY Face Masks
Let’s face it — there is nothing better than a face mask made of fresh, natural ingredients, allowing you to throw harsh chemicals and other things you can’t pronounce out the window. The power of vitamins and substances found in eggs, fruit and yogurt provide your face dozens of benefits.
It’s important to use the ingredients you have at their freshest peak, and to not use the mixture for more than one person or more than a single use. Whether you create a DIY by yourself or you have a few friends over, be sure you make a new mask mixture for each application and each face.
Remember, women are not the only ones who can benefit from trying out face masks. Men are just as dedicated to having healthy skin and invest a lot of time into proper skincare techniques. Everyone has a particular type of skin, so DIY projects are perfect for customizing your face mask. Finding the right mask for your skin type — whether you have oily, dry or sensitive skin or dark circles and wrinkles — is essential in generating a healthy, smooth face.
You may find eggs, avocados and yogurt give your face the biggest boost, or your skin may respond to pure egg whites and honey. You can try all the DIY egg white face masks and find each helps your skin in different ways. Try to stick to a regimented skin care routine for the best results.
Tips When Applying DIY Face Masks
Keeping in mind our tips for using a face mask help you achieve the most effective results. First, wear an old T-shirt because the mask may be messy. Especially with staining ingredients such as turmeric, the masks can ruin your favorite pajamas or cozy sweatshirt. We also recommend you take off any jewelry before application. You should apply your egg white face mask over the bathroom or kitchen sink or over another basin to catch excess drippings.
Before applying the mask, always secure your hair in a ponytail, if you have longer hair, and wash your face with face wash to remove surface dirt. Having less dirt on your face at the beginning will promote better absorption of the proteins and nutrients from the egg whites. Because face masks are not face scrubs, you will want to apply the mixture in gentle strokes, starting at the bottom of your face and working upward. Begin around your jawline and chin, then move toward your cheeks and forehead in smooth, circular motions.
Another tip is to avoid the sensitive areas of your face. For example, your eyes and around your mouth should have an area without the egg mask. The tightening ingredients can stretch and wrinkle the drier parts of your skin. After removing the face mask, apply a light face moisturizer or a natural oil. As a final note, ensure your hands, bowl, cosmetic brush and other materials stay clean to avoid irritation and contaminated ingredients.
Other Skin Conditions Eggs Can Help Prevent or Reduce
In addition to the health and skin benefits we’ve reviewed already, eggs can also help you with specific skin conditions, such as:
• Fight against cold sores. Believe it or not, you can remove a cold sore on your lip by using the shell of an egg. The film found on the inner layers is an anti-inflammatory resource. Remove the film from the eggshell and place it over your cold sore for impressive results.
• Rosacea facial treatment. Using an egg white face mask can help if you have rosacea.
• Natural cure for facial warts. Applying egg whites several times a day over a wart can help dry them out, causing them to drop off.
• A remedy for boils. If you have carbuncles on your face, turn to the natural solution of egg whites to draw out the infection. Apply the egg, then place a bandage over the boils and leave the treatment on overnight.
• Cyst removal. Similar to one of the previous face masks, mixing an egg white with honey can also help remove cysts on your face, neck or torso.
• Lichen planus treatment. Whipping egg whites with cocoa butter and apple cider vinegar can reduce the itching sensation caused by the skin disease. The mixture of egg whites can also lessen the lesions associated with it.
• Treating shingles. If you mix pineapple juice with egg whites and place the mixture in the problematic area, it has proven to keep all forms of the virus away from your body.
While egg whites and other natural ingredients may not cure your face or body of certain skin conditions, the all-natural products can either reduce symptoms and pain or prevent further spreading.
Sauder’s Eggs for Your DIY Egg Face Masks
Sauder’s Eggs is your go-to resource center for knowing and learning how eggs can benefit your daily life. As a family-owned business, we pride ourselves on producing quality eggs and serving families in Pennsylvania, Maryland and Ohio. With our skilled management team and highly motivated workforce, Sauder’s Eggs relies on family traditions of integrity, product excellence and fairness to customers, producers and employees.
Bring a family-oriented business, and our farmers have been our partners for many generations. Sauder’s Eggs has a reputation for high-quality eggs and fair-priced products to fit any lifestyle, whether you need eggs for cooking and baking or for creating your DIY face mask. We are one of America’s leading processors of fresh eggs with three marketing branches and five processing plants, each facilitated by modern technology. Our team upholds the highest goals of quality, freshness and safe packaging.
We encourage you to become a member of our egg club and to ask us about your questions and concerns or comment with an idea for other DIY egg face mask recipes. Our products for face masks include Sauder’s Gold Egg and Sauder’s Organic Eggs. To see where you can buy our eggs, check out our store locator page and begin your DIY project today or contact us for more information.
We promise — egg on your face is a good thing.