For many, enjoying a glass of eggnog is a family tradition. Whether you like enjoying it by yourself or you always serve it at your annual holiday party, it’s a great treat during those cold months.
Lots of people satisfy their eggnog craving by buying from the store. But, have you tried a chocolate version before? If you have, have you ever wondered how to make spicy chocolate eggnog at home?
Our chocolate eggnog recipe is a delicious twist on a classic drink. The chocolate and spices give it an extra, unique flavor. Be sure to serve it to the eggnog lovers in your life so they can give it a try.
You could also make this recipe to give as Christmas gifts! Buy decorative jugs and give your friends and family a unique treat this holiday. Once you share it, everyone will be asking you how you made it!
Check out our recipe below on how to make your own homemade chocolate eggnog!
- In a very large pot, combine the milk, sugar, salt, vanilla extract, and cinnamon sticks. Warm the mixture over medium-high heat. Stir it until the sugar is fully dissolved and it is warmed the entire way through. Remove it from the heat and let it sit about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a large bowl. Then, carefully add one cup of the milk mixture to the eggs and whisk until it is well combined. Then, add the yolk mixture to the milk mixture and stir to combine.
- Cook the mixture over medium to medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Heat it until it reaches 180 degrees. You can check the temperature of the mixture using an instant-read thermometer — don’t let it come to a boil.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the melted bittersweet and milk chocolate. Stir the chocolate in until it is thoroughly blended, then remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Pour the eggnog into a large bowl, or two if you need them, and set them in an ice bath. You may also put it into the refrigerator. Stir it often as it cools.
- Whisk the heavy cream, or use a hand mixer on low until it sets. It’s done when peaks form in the mixture after you remove the whisk or mixer.
- Pour the cool eggnog into a large serving bowl. Add the whipped cream on top, sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg and serve right away.
When you’re cooking and baking over the holidays, you want to make sure you’re using the best ingredients. After all, the holidays are a time to indulge a little. When you use Sauder Eggs for this chocolate eggnog recipe, you know you’re including the right ingredients.
Make sure you use our store locator to find the closest store to pick up our top-quality eggs.