Treat yourself — you deserve it! After a long day at the office or home with the kids, there’s no better way to unwind then by kicking your shoes off and enjoying a poached egg over polenta with olive-herb pesto! While this dish may sound like a mouth-full to say, it doesn’t skimp on satisfying your stomach with all the nutrients it needs.
We’ve compiled a simple, beginner-friendly recipe for poached eggs over polenta with olive-herb pesto — that means you don’t have to be a chef to eat like one! Follow our simple breakdown below to prepare this recipe any time of the day.
- Begin by making the pesto. Add the basil leaves, parsley and thyme to a food processor or blender and mix until thoroughly blended. Remove the lid and add the parmesan cheese and garlic to the mix. Blend for several more seconds. Reduce the blender or food processor to a low setting and remove the mixer’s lid. Slowly pour the olive oil into the pesto and allow the contents to mix. Remove the pesto from the mixer and set aside.
- Add roughly 5 cups of water to a medium pot or saucepan over medium heat. Once the water begins to slightly bubble, add the salt and polenta to the water and mix. Cover the pot with a form-fitting lid and allow the mixture to simmer for roughly 25 minutes. Uncover the lid every several minutes to stir.
- Once the polenta reaches a creamy texture and consistency, add the melted butter and parmesan cheese into the mix. Stir and cook until the cheese entirely melts. Reduce the heat to low and allow the polenta to cook uncovered.
- Place a medium pot or saucepan over medium heat. Fill the pot halfway with water and wait for it to simmer. Once the water begins to boil, gently crack each egg into the pot one-by-one. Use a fork or spoon to separate any eggs that begin to mingle or mix carefully. Cook the eggs for roughly 3 to 4 minutes.
- Once the whites of eggs are cooked and the yolk is slightly running, carefully scoop each one out of the pot and set aside.
- To put the dish all together, scoop about ½-1 cup of the polenta mixture into each serving or bowl. Place an egg on top of each polenta mix and drizzle the desired amount of pesto sauce on top. For added flavor, sprinkle salt and pepper on top. Serve immediately.
When it comes to cooking, using quality ingredients should always be priority number one. Don’t second guess the source of your ingredients — purchase Sauder’s Eggs instead! Our eggs come straight from the farm and are transferred to stores across the country after being checked for optimal freshness and purity. Just use our store locator to find a retailer near you.