You don’t have to travel across the border to enjoy the authentic taste of a delicious Mexican dish. Liven your morning up Latino style with a delicious chorizo egg breakfast taco that brings the bold flavors of Mexico straight to your kitchen. Whether you crave an added level of spiciness or want to take your breakfast up a notch, we guarantee our Mexican chorizo egg breakfast taco will pamper your taste buds.
If you’ve never heard of chorizo before, you’ve probably tasted food quite like it. Chorizo is a Spanish smoked sausage similar to the traditional sausage consumed in the U.S., but with added levels of seasonings and spices. Have trouble finding chorizo in a store near you? Opt for regular Italian sausage instead! This chorizo or sausage egg breakfast taco is sure to satisfy regardless of the meat you choose.
To experience a spicy Latin flavor you can appreciate within the comforts of your kitchen, try our sausage egg breakfast taco recipe below.
- In a large skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil and cook over medium heat. Once the pan is heated, add the chopped serrano pepper, onions and minced garlic. For a less spicy taste, substitute the serrano pepper for a red bell pepper. Sauté until the vegetables begin to slightly brown.
- Add a pound of fresh chorizo (or sausage) and cilantro to the skillet and chop into small pieces. Separate the meat as it begins to cook and turn periodically for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once the chorizo finishes cooking, turn the heat down low and add salt and pepper for added flavor. Mix and remove from the stove while draining the excess grease on a napkin or towel.
- Crack and whisk eggs in a mixing bowl until the yolk and egg whites are combined. In a separate pan, warm up a tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the eggs and allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes before flipping. Bring the edges of the egg towards the center until the liquid begins to solidify.
- Once the eggs finish cooking, turn the heat down low and sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top. Allow the cheese to melt before removing the pan from the stove.
- Place a medium skillet on a stove over medium heat. Add the tortilla shells to the pan and heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute before flipping. Set aside on a plate to cool after heating.
- Add a spoonful of scrambled eggs and cheese to each tortilla shell. Place another spoonful of the chorizo mix on top. Top off with a dollop of sour cream. For added flavor, slice a fresh lime and drizzle the juice on top. Salsa is also perfect for anyone desiring extra flavor or spiciness!
Are you ready to prepare your breakfast taco with confidence? Don’t skimp on the ingredients! You and your family deserve the quality and freshness of Sauder’s eggs. Use our store locator to find Sauder’s eggs in a store close to you.