Our lentil, egg, and spinach stew recipe is both filling and deliciously light. We took a classic lentil and spinach stew and decided a poached egg would be a perfect addition. With four servings, this is a great weekday meal your entire family will love. After you make it the first time, this recipe will become one of your go-to meals.
This stew is a great meatless option that still gives you a hearty serving of protein. If you’re a vegetarian or are looking for more healthy choices for dinner, be sure to give this recipe a try.
Does this sound like it would be a hit at home? Check out our lentil and spinach stew recipe below!
- Add the onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, and minced garlic to a food processor and process until the mixture is a fine consistency. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Then, add the mixture from the food processor and season it with salt, black pepper, parsley, and basil. Cook the mixture until it is soft — about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally for even cooking.
- Add the tomato sauce and a little bit of water, or reduce the heat if the mixture browns too quickly. Cook 10 to 12 minutes or until it’s golden brown. Add the lentils along with six cups of water. Put the asiago rind on top, but don’t let it sink. If it sinks, it may stick to the pan and not flavor the stew properly.
- Bring the mixture to a rolling boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer for about 45 minutes until the lentils are tender. Give it a taste and add more seasoning if you think it needs it.
- Add the spinach and let the mixture simmer until the spinach is wilting slightly. If the mixture is too thick, add 1/4 cups of water as needed. Don’t add too much water, or the stew will be the wrong consistency.
- Make four impressions in the stew with the back of a large spoon and drop an egg into each. Cover the pot and simmer on low just until the eggs are set — about 10 minutes.
- Divide the stew among four bowls and top it with the vinegar and Parmesan. Serve it with bread — sliced baguette or dinner rolls work great!
Sauder Eggs are the perfect ingredient for this lentil, egg, and spinach stew. Stews are some of the best comfort foods, and this vegetarian stew is an excellent protein-packed pick. Be sure to use our store locator so you can start using our top-quality eggs in all of your recipes.