No sandwich is complete without a healthy layer of smooth, creamy and otherworldly mayonnaise. Mayonnaise is sort of like the secret weapon that takes dishes, meats, salads and rolls to the next level.
If you’re a self-proclaimed mayo fanatic, you haven’t properly experienced this spread to the fullest until you’ve prepared it yourself. We guarantee your favorite store-bought mayonnaise will take a backseat to your delicious homemade mayo — Hellman who?
Our recipe for homemade mayo is not only delicious, but it’s also simple! Whether you’re an amateur chef or aren’t too familiar with cooking at all, our homemade mayo recipe is easy to make and only requires a handful of ingredients.
- Carefully crack the yolk from the egg into a mixing bowl. Set the whites aside in the refrigerator for a future recipe, meal or snack.
- Add the salt and sugar to the egg. Whisk gently until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Wash and cut a lemon into several slices. Squeeze roughly 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice into a separate bowl. Add the red wine vinegar to the bowl and mix.
- Once the lemon juice and red wine vinegar are fully combined, slowly pour the wine and lemon juice mixture into the egg yolks. Whisk vigorously for a few seconds, pause, then continue adding the lemon and wine mixture.
- Slowly add the canola oil to the egg mixture a few drops at a time while continuing to stir. Do not pour all the oil into the mix at once. Whisk quickly and rapidly until the liquid begins to thicken. As the mixture thickens, pour in more of the oil in a steady but slow stream.
- Use a spoon or spatula to brush against the edges of the mixing bowl to ensure proper mixing. Squeeze an extra teaspoon of lemon juice into the mixture once it thickens. If the mayo is still too runny or thin, continue to add additional drops of canola oil to the bowl while mixing.
- Cover the mayonnaise and place the container in the refrigerator for several hours — or preferably, overnight. Once the mayonnaise chills, remove and serve immediately.
Often, a little bit of mayonnaise is enough to take your dish up a notch without taking away from your meal’s pre-existing flavor. Instead, this condiment perfectly harmonizes with other ingredients to create a potent, unique taste. Since mayonnaise is the perfect complement to any meal or dish, make sure you prepare your spread with only the best products.
When it comes to homemade mayo, don’t skimp on the ingredients. At Sauder’s Eggs, we value providing families with top-notch eggs at an affordable price. Find our eggs in a store near you by using our store locator.