If there is one soup that can hold its own against homemade chicken noodle, it has to be hot and sour soup with eggs. This is one of those unforgettable side dishes that people cannot help but crave. If you thought you had to go to your favorite restaurant to enjoy this soup, you will be happy to learn that we have an easy hot and sour soup recipe.
Now, you can learn how to make hot and sour soup without all the fuss. In fact, you might be surprised at how simple it can be from start to finish. Our recommendation is for you to make hot and sour soup with egg once to see whether you want to add anything else to the process. Once you have your ingredients how you want them, make a big batch to freeze for later. The next time a chilly day rolls around, you will be happy to have some homemade hot and sour soup with eggs on hand to warm you up.
Remember that hot and sour soup can be great if you are feeling under the weather, too. Like all soups, it helps open your nasal passages and soothe a scratchy throat. Plus, it never takes up too much room in your stomach when you are trying to eat light. Adding bits of cooked pork to the final soup can add another kick of protein to up the nutrients even more.
1. Mix soy sauce, rice vinegar, salt, pepper and white sugar in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
2. Place corn oil in a large soup pot on medium-high heat. Add grated ginger, chili paste, shitake mushrooms and bamboo shoots. Stir together for 2 minutes.
3. Pour soy sauce over the ginger, mushrooms and bamboo shoots. Stir together for 1 minute.
4. Add chicken broth to the pot. Increase the heat setting to high until the soup boils. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 12 minutes.
5. Add diced tofu to the simmering soup and cook for another 2 minutes.
6. Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Pour the cornstarch liquid into the soup.
7. Cook the soup for an additional 5 minutes. Then, remove the soup from heat.
8. Stir the soup quickly while simultaneously pouring the beaten eggs into the pot to cook eggs instantly.
9. Serve the soup while still warm. Garnish bowls of soup with finely chopped pieces of spring onion.
Want to use the best eggs in your hot and sour soup recipe? Our Sauder’s eggs store locator has all the information you need!