Our quick chicken empanada recipe comes to the rescue every time you need to pull together a meal that tastes great and is homemade, but never takes hours to assemble. Plus, you can substitute tons of veggies and meats in this one easy chicken empanada recipe.
We are sure that the more often you make this pulled chicken empanadas recipe, the more you will appreciate the high-fives you get from your family and friends.
Learn how to make pulled chicken empanadas below!
1. Place olive oil, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, onions and slightly beaten eggs into a very large frying pan or skillet. Cook over medium heat for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until eggs have set and vegetables are heated through.
2. Pull white and dark meat from the fully cooked chicken, separating it from the bones. Place pulled chicken into pan or skillet.
3. Add tomatoes, all seasonings and hot sauce into the pan or skillet. Heat on the stove at a high setting until the ingredients boil. Then, turn the heat to low-medium and cook, simmering, for about 18 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
4. Place flour and water in a large mixing bowl. Stir with your hands to create a dough. Cover the top of the mixing bowl with a clean dish towel and let sit for about 8 minutes.
5. Pinch a plum-sized piece of dough out of the mixing bowl. On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to make a 6-inch circular piece of dough. Put about 3 tablespoons of chicken and egg mixture in the center. Cover the mixture with a sprinkling of queso fresco. Fold the edges of the dough to meet in a half-moon shape, trapping the mixture within the dough. Press edges. Place finished empanada on a nonstick baking tray or another nonstick surface to rest.
6. Repeat step 5 until all dough is used.
7. Heat 3/4 inch corn oil in a large pan or skillet at medium-high heat until the oil is very hot, about 5-6 minutes. Fry each empanada 4 minutes per side. Drain empanadas using paper towel lined plates.
8. Serve finished chicken empanada recipe immediately with sour cream and salsa, if desired.
These easy chicken empanadas make any meal one to remember! Be sure to use the best ingredients, including Sauder’s eggs. Find your nearest store by checking out our shop locator.