Grilled cheeses are a staple dish served throughout homes, diners and restaurants across the country. Chances are, you grew up eating them on a regular basis. You might even still find yourself enjoying a fresh grilled cheese sandwich every now and again. After all, you don’t have to be a kid to enjoy freshly melted cheese wedged between two slices of buttery, crisp bread. But, have you ever considered taking this classic dish to the next level?
Grilled cheeses on their own are a tasty delight, but a grilled cheese with a fried egg wedged between the creamy center is out of this world! While grilled sandwiches are typically served for lunch or dinner, you can enjoy this nostalgic dish any time of day by adding a protein-filled egg into the mix. Eggs are also full of the nutrients you need to power through the rest of the day.
Are you ready to kick your favored dish up a notch? Follow the steps below to prepare the best grilled cheese and fried egg recipe to satisfy your cravings!
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together your eggs and milk until thoroughly combined. Sprinkle a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of pepper into the mixture for added flavor.
- Heat ½ tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes before turning. Push the outer parts of the eggs toward the center to ensure proper cooking. Cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, then remove from the stove
- Add a generous amount of butter to each side of your bread slices, making sure to cover each piece entirely. Add two slices of cheese and ¼ of the egg mixture to each sandwich.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add one tablespoon of butter and allow to melt.
- Add your sandwiches to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes. Flip your sandwich and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Once the bread begins to crisp and turn golden-brown, remove the sandwich and serve.
There’s nothing more fulfilling or comforting than a delicious bite of freshly grilled cheese and bread straight out of the skillet. Add an egg to the mix, and you’ve achieved utter perfection.
You put a lot of work into your dishes, so shouldn’t the people making your ingredients do the same? Don’t settle for subpar ingredients when superior products are available! At Sauder’s Eggs, we prioritize making our products both affordable and high-quality, so families across the nation can enjoy our eggs with ease. Not sure where to find our eggs? Use our store locator to find a Sauder’s Eggs retailer near you.