Sometimes, you just need a little something different from your seafood. When salmon does not feel like the right menu item, and shrimp leaves you uninspired, reach for some succulent sea scallops. Sea scallops suddenly brighten any meal, and this fried scallops with mayo sauce recipe is not only delicious, but it’s pretty easy to make, too.
Because this is a fried dish, most people do like to have it as a side or as an addition to a dinner party buffet. However, if you are in the mood to make scallops with sweet mayo sauce your main meal, we are not going to stop you! In fact, we encourage you to indulge your taste buds with whatever suits you, no matter the time of day.
One secret to working with any type of seafood is to always buy the freshest you can find. You may pay a little more for heartier sea scallops, but you will appreciate the way they hold up when fried. Plus, you will discover that they have unbeatable flavors when they are the best of the best.
Ready to make a little seafood magic in your kitchen? Try this fried scallops with dipping sauce recipe!
1. Rinse sea scallops carefully to remove any sand or particles. Dry them by placing them on a paper towel-lined plate in a single row. Then, lay another paper towel on top to completely absorb any extra moisture.
2. In a small bowl, mix pepper, salt and flour.
3. In a different small bowl, add the eggs and beat until frothy
4. Place 8 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet or pan and heat over medium heat.
5. Place each sea scallop first in the flour mixture, then dip in the eggs. Then, roll the sea scallop in the flour mixture again before placing in the hot olive oil. Continue until all sea scallops are coated and frying in the olive oil mixture.
6. Cook sea scallops for a few minutes, checking their undersides. When the undersides get brown, they should be turned and cooked evenly on the other side.
7. When the sea scallops are browned on both sides, transfer them to a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb any excess olive oil.
8. While the sea scallops are cooling, mix mayonnaise, sour cream, water, sugar, garlic, ketchup, ginger, hot sauce, paprika, dried mustard and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Transfer this to small dishes for each person to use as a sweet and spicy dipping sauce for the fried sea scallops.
Love playing with different recipes like the sea scallops with mayo sauce? You can find many recipes at Sauder’s eggs. And you can find which stores near you carry our eggs using the store locator.