Do you ever leave a restaurant wishing you could make a meal like the one you just had in your own kitchen? If you’ve ever bitten into the crispy crust of a freshly baked flatbread at an Italian restaurant, you’ve probably wished you could get the same flavor in your own homemade flatbread. Not only is it possible to replicate your restaurant’s favorite dishes, but you may even forgo chef-prepared platters and opt for your own meals instead.
For added protein or a versatile breakfast platter, add a fried egg to your flatbread. Pair it with a creamy marinara sauce and a blend of spices and herbs. When you prepare our fried egg flatbread recipe, you get the best of both worlds! Eggs make this flatbread the perfect dish to serve throughout the day, and the homemade marinara sauce is the cherry on top. Check out our recipe below to prepare this savory meal with ease.
- To prepare the sauce, peel and chop fresh tomatoes into bite-sized cube pieces. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is heated, add the onions and garlic. Sauté for 6 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Once the vegetables are soft and fully cooked, add the tomato paste and chopped tomatoes. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning and salt over top of the mixture and stir. Cover the pot and turn the heat down to low-medium. Simmer for roughly 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the lid and add a tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley to the sauce. Remove the pan from the heated stove and set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, gently whisk together the eggs and milk. Add ½ cup of the parmesan cheese to the mixture and continue to stir.
- Add a tablespoon of butter to a heated skillet over medium heat. Cook the eggs for roughly 4 to 5 minutes, turning the eggs until the liquid dissolves.
- Turn the heat down to low and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of parmesan cheese on top.
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Coat a nonstick pan with spray butter and line each flatbread in a single layer on the pan.
- Add a spoonful of eggs and spinach to the flatbread, topping the bread off with a spoonful of the marinara sauce.
- Bake for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the bread begins to brown. Remove and serve immediately.
At Sauder’s Eggs, we believe every delectable dish your family enjoys should include quality ingredients as the foundation of your meals. The next time you want to whip up a tasty flatbread platter, choose Sauder’s eggs. Use our store locator to find a Sauder’s Eggs retailer near you.