Have you ever been in the mood for something similar to a pizza or a tortilla? Not sure you want to go the distance and make something that is entirely based on Mexican or Italian cuisine? Feast your eyes and taste buds on the fried egg flatbread featuring bacon and spinach.
This bacon and spinach flatbread recipe is brimming with tremendous flavors. Thanks to the variety of ingredients, it will leave you completely satisfied. Best of all, it is wholesome, too. That means you can feel good about indulging in it for breakfast, lunch, dinner or even the occasional midnight snack.
Have a summer garden just filled with spinach? Instead of trying to give it away, use it up by making some flatbread with bacon and spinach for your neighbors or coworkers. Or, invite some guests over for an impromptu “summer garden recipes” picnic. You can also feel free to add other veggies to this easily-altered flatbread with bacon and spinach, such as diced yellow bell peppers, tiny pieces of green zucchini and even sliced olives. Go a little crazy and have fun with your food.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil and cover with nonstick spray (or use two nonstick baking sheets instead.)
3. Place 4 pieces of flatbread on each baking sheet. (If your baking sheets are very small, you can always make fried egg flatbread in several batches.)
4. Coat each flatbread with 2 tablespoons of olive oil using the back of a spoon to evenly distribute it on the flatbread surface.
5. Place baby spinach pieces, onion slices, lemon juice, kosher salt and black pepper in a mixing bowl. Toss ingredients well. Divide ingredients between the 8 pieces of flatbread.
6. Cook bacon pieces in a skillet at medium-high heat until the bacon is crispy. Transfer cooked bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Allow bacon to cool for 5 minutes before placing it onto the 8 pieces of flatbread on top of the spinach mixture. Sprinkle all flatbreads with mozzarella cheese.
7. Place flatbreads in the oven for 5 minutes.
8. Remove flatbreads from the oven. Crack 1 egg over each flatbread. Return flatbreads to the oven to cook eggs for about 7 minutes.
9. Remove flatbreads the from the oven and serve immediately.
Even though our fried egg flatbread is perfect as-is, you may want to top it with a red sauce, tahini sauce or balsamic vinaigrette for a flavor bonanza. Looking high and low for Sauder’s eggs? Our no-fuss store locator is a lifesaver!