When you skip out on breakfast, you are doing yourself a disservice. Breakfast is critical in giving you the energy you need to get your day started on the right foot. Skipping this meal may make you inattentive and low-energy for the rest of the day.
While you’re looking for a great recipe to start your day, look no further than this delicious sausage and apple casserole. For this recipe, we have you toss the apples in some sugar and cinnamon and also mix in some vanilla. These ingredients make this dish a little sweet, but not too much. And, it’s packed with protein — you’ll eat some breakfast sausage, as well as a serving of eggs.
Our sausage and apple casserole recipe isn’t just for the morning — you can cook it for any meal! Whip it up for a weekend brunch or even prepare it for you and your family on a weeknight when you’re all craving something a little different.
If this sounds like a dish you want to try soon, check out what we think is one of the best recipes for a fall casserole.
- Preheat your oven to 325°F.
- Cook the breakfast sausages according to the instructions on the packaging. When the sausages are fully cooked, drain the grease and pat them dry. Excess grease could be too much for the casserole later on. Set the sausages aside.
- In a small bowl, toss your chopped apples with the sugar and ground cinnamon. Use a spoon to make sure all the pieces are evenly coated.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, milk, and vanilla extract with a whisk until evenly combined.
- Add the sausages, cubed bread and 1 cup of the shredded cheddar to the eggs. Stir the mixture until the new ingredients are evenly coated in the beaten eggs.
- Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with your cooking spray. Spoon the mixture into the baking dish and top with the remaining cheddar.
- Bake the casserole for about 40 to 45 minutes. The dish is done when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- When the casserole is done, let it sit for about 10 minutes, then cut it into squares.
- Serve. Drizzle each serving with maple serving if desired.
When you’re cooking for yourself and your family, quality ingredients are key. When you use Sauder’s eggs, you know you’re using a top-quality, fresh ingredient. To find our eggs at your nearest retailer, use our simple store locator tool today!