Imagine you’re at a picnic on a warm, sunny summer afternoon and your stomach begins to grumble. You open your picnic basket and pick up a delicious scotch egg you cooked this morning in under an hour. You bite down to unleash a smooth, creamy filling that’s oozing with savory flavor. You shut your basket and continue your journey, satisfying your taste buds and stomach in the process.
While the above description may have your mouth watering, you may be wondering to yourself, “What exactly is a scotch egg?” A scotch egg is a combination of hard-boiled eggs and sausage meat that’s breaded and fried to perfection. While easy scotch egg recipes allow you to master the kitchen with ease, the result will be fit for the finest of restaurants. A quick and easy meal doesn’t have to be synonymous with lack-luster flavor, after all.
If you’re wondering how to cook a scotch egg with simplicity and ease, check out our basic scotch egg recipe below.
- Add roughly 7 to 8 cups of water to a large pot. Using a spoon, gently lower the eggs into the water, bringing it to a boil. Allow the eggs to boil for roughly 4 to 5 minutes.
- After cooking, quickly run the eggs under cool water to prevent the yolks from turning gray. Allow the cooked eggs to sit in the cool water for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the water and gently crack them against the side of the pans to loosen the shells. Carefully crack and remove the outer shells.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the freshly ground sausage, onions, nutmeg, mustard, salt and pepper. Clean a fresh apple and grate roughly ¼ cup of the apple into the mix. Use your hands to mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Using three separate dishes, place your flour, breadcrumbs and eggs into their own separate bowl. Quickly whisk the eggs to create an egg wash.
- Scoop roughly two tablespoons of the sausage mix out of the bowl and form into a patty shape. Place one egg in the center of each patty and spread the mixture over the egg to cover it entirely. It’s essential to make sure the sausage coating isn’t too thick to ensure proper frying later.
- Once you coat all your eggs in an even layer of sausage mixture, gently roll each ball in the bowl full of flour. Make sure to cover the balls entirely.
- Next, transfer the eggs to the egg wash. Cover the eggs in the egg wash and roll each ball around in the bread crumbs.
- Heat about a cup of vegetable oil over medium heat in a large skillet or pan. Once the oil is heated, gently lower each egg into the pan and cook for roughly 8 to 10 minute or slightly brown.
- Line a plate with napkins or paper towels and remove each egg from the oil. Place the eggs onto the napkin-lined plates to drain excess oil. Serve and enjoy immediately!
You put a lot of effort into your dishes and require nothing short of perfection when your freshly-cooked meals emerge from the pan or skillet. Want your scotch eggs to cook with flawless execution? Be sure to invest in your number one ingredient by purchasing only top-quality and fresh ingredients — Sauder’s eggs, of course! Use our store locator to find our delicious eggs in a store near you.