We love this recipe for easy oatmeal bars for a bunch of reasons.
First, they make a tasty and healthier dessert and also a great on-the-go breakfast! Sometimes when you’re craving something sweet, you still want an option that’s better for you. With a layer of fruit and another of oats, they’ll fill you up and still satisfy that craving. And if you have to get out the door fast to get to school or work, you can grab one of these while you’re heading out the door for a good breakfast.
Learn how to make our blueberry oatmeal bars by following the recipe below.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper, making so it goes over the edges.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, oats, sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until evenly combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the melted butter and egg yolk. Slowly stir into the dry ingredients.
- Take out one cup of the mixture and set it aside to use for the crumb topping.
- Pour the remaining mixture slowly into the baking dish, making sure none gets underneath the parchment paper. Using the back of a spoon, press it down and into the corners, creating an even bottom layer.
- Put the blueberries into a bowl.
- Cut the lemon in half and grate all of the peel from one half into the bowl. Squeeze all of the juice out of both halves of the lemon, being careful not to let any seeds fall into the bowl.
- Add the sugar and cornstarch to the blueberry and lemon mixture and gently stir until evenly combined.
- Spoon the blueberry mixture evenly over the bottom layer in the baking dish.
- With the reserved one cup of the base layer, mix in the tablespoon of brown sugar. Using the crumble topping, cover the blueberries.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when the blueberries are bubbling along the edges.
- Allow the oatmeal bars to cool completely — at least 3 hours. When it has cooled down enough, you can put it in the fridge to allow it to cool faster.
- When it’s done cooling, use the parchment paper to lift it out of the baking dish gently. Cut it into thirds along both sides to make nine bars.
- If you have leftovers, store in a sealed container in the fridge.
At Sauder’s, we want to make it easier for you to find high-quality and fresh ingredients. So, we provide top-quality eggs to all of our customers by partnering with a network of local farmers who are as passionate about this mission as we are. To find our delicious eggs at the retailer nearest you, please use our store locator today!