Biscuits and gravy are one of the best comfort foods out there. If you want a smaller meal that still really filling, this is the thing to eat. The warm, flaky biscuits that melt in your mouth combine deliciously with the creamy, smoky sausage gravy. This amazing combination isn’t just for those who live in the South anymore!
Biscuits and gravy from scratch may seem hard to make, but they’re actually easy! The simple ingredients come together well, and you can definitely taste the homemade difference.
If you don’t have a lot of time in the morning, don’t worry. You don’t have to limit this recipe to breakfast! Make these for dinner on the weeknights and serve with a simple side, like fresh fruit. After you make this dish the first time, you’ll surely be making it again soon.
See how to make biscuits and gravy from scratch by following our recipe below!
- Make the biscuits.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter into the dry ingredients until the pieces of butter are the size of peas.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and milk, then add to the dry mixture.
- Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Put the dough onto a floured surface and pat it out to be about 3/4-inch thick. Use your hands instead of a rolling pin or another tool. Using anything other than your hands may prevent the biscuits from getting flaky.
- Using a biscuit cutter — or a glass if you don’t have one — cut out six biscuits and place them on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake the biscuits for eight to 11 minutes — or until golden brown.
- Make the sausage gravy.
- In a large skillet, cook your maple sausage until browned. Add the flour, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper and stir to combine evenly. Cook for another two to five minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and stir until well incorporated. Simmer the gravy on low until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Cut your biscuits in half and put on plates. Pour sausage gravy over the biscuits.
- Serve and enjoy.
At Sauder’s, we are committed to giving you the best eggs to use in your cooking and baking. We know when you put something great in, you’ll get a fantastic result.
To make our mission work, we partner with a network of committed and experienced local farmers to provide eggs of the highest quality and freshness. To find these amazing eggs at the shop nearest you, please use Sauder’s store locator today.