Sometimes, you just need to up your sandwich game. Why not take some advice from Southern-style cooking and make an old-fashioned fried chicken sandwich with egg?
Chickens and eggs are the ultimate pairing. Without one, there could never be the other! And this fried chicken sandwich with egg and gravy spares nothing. Your taste buds will be left completely satisfied, and your hungry family and visitors will beg for more.
Try this fried chicken sandwich with gravy recipe when you want to make a heartier lunch or dinner, or if you’d like to offer something a bit different on your picnic buffet. It is one of the best fried chicken sandwich recipes available because it makes you look so good! Besides, it is super easy, especially if you by store-bought biscuits as the recipe suggests. However, if you have a terrific biscuit recipe you would rather use, we say bring it on!
Cooking should be fun and filled with wonderful surprises. Prep for your next meal by reading over our fried chicken sandwich with egg and sausage gravy recipe.
1. Place chicken breasts in a plastic or glass container and cover with buttermilk. Cover the container and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Remove from the refrigerator in preparation for cooking.
2. Place 3 1/2 inches of corn oil in a deep fryer or satisfactory pan or pot. Heat corn oil to about 350 degrees.
3. Whisk together 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 ¾ cups white flour, paprika and garlic powder in a medium-sized bowl.
4. Beat 4 eggs until foamy in a separate medium-sized bowl.
5. Place one slice of chicken breast at a time in the flour and paprika mixture, followed by the egg mixture, and then again in the flour and paprika mixture.
6. Lower coated chicken breasts into the hot oil. Fry for about 7-8 minutes until coating is golden brown, and the chicken is fully cooked.
7. Remove fried chicken pieces and put on a plate or platter lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil.
8. Place butter in a frying pan and melt over medium heat. Fry remaining 8 eggs and then place them on a plate or platter.
9. Place turkey sausage in a pan and cook over medium-high heat, about 8 minutes or until the sausage is brown. Add remaining butter, remaining flour and low-fat milk. Reduce heat to low-medium setting and stir until thickened, about 10-12 minutes.
10. Split biscuits in half. Top with one fried chicken breast, one fried egg and 3 heaping tablespoons of sausage gravy. Serve sandwiches immediately.
Ever wonder how you can get your favorite recipes done in less time? For the fried chicken sandwich with egg and gravy, you can always prepare several parts of the dish simultaneously. Or, you can purchase pre-made sausage gravy for the biscuits. Whatever you do, though, always get fresh Sauder’s eggs. Find them locally using our handy store locator online.